Historical Maps & Sites
This two page brochure includes a map and legend of Public Access Cemeteries, Texas Historical Markers, National Register Sites.
OLD HAYS COUNTY JAIL
The historic site, listed in the National Register of Histroric Places since 1983, was vacated by the county in 1937 and eventually sold to San Marcos contractor Oscar Payne, who utilized it for many years for storage and as part of his construction yard. Payne’s heirs sold the property to Preservation Associates in the 1990s, the necessary seed money for the
Various plans for the building, if and when restored, have been offered and pursued for years, including the Junior League of San Marcos once envisioning a enlarged thrift store and the Combined Law Enforcement Assoctaion of Texas (CLEAT) offering support for a law enforcement museum at the site. Then Southwest Texas State University Professor Jim Kimmel from the university’s Department of Geography crafted a plan in 2000 that would have given direction to that effort.
Current discussions look to elements of Kimmel’s plan, as well as the extended possibility of an eventual master plan for the entire Dunbar Historic District, to include The Calaboose Museum, Eddie Durham Park, and other resources in the immediate area.
According to the narrative in its National Register dosumentation, Hays County Commissioners met on Valentine’s Day, 1884, to sign a contract for the construction of the new jail on the same lot as one built in 1873. Edward Northcraft and B.F. Donalson were given until August 12 to complete their task, an unimaginable schedule in today’s world, for which $11,500 was allocated. Specifications called for the jail to be constructed of the best stone, brick, and lumber.
The building served its intended function for almost a half century before being replaced by the county’s next jail.
The old Hays County Jail documented its most dramatic point in history when, on April 9, 1915, the only “official” hanging in Hays County was held in the jail yard there. The
The Hays County relic is described architecturally as “typifying late 19th-Century jail construction in the Italianate style. It is a two-story limestone block structure with a simple brick dentiled cornice on the cell section.” Hoped for restoration plans go to the structure itself, as well as its adaptive re-use.
Hays County Historical Commission
Brands of Hays County
From right to left:Michaelis, Negley Family, Johnson Family, Bunton family, Word family, Jesse Falcon family
Hays County History | Historic Sites and Maps | Voices of Hays County History | News & Events | Cemeteries | Books & DVDs Donations
Education and Research | Members | Legal Notice | Privacy Statement | Site Map